(1.0 credit) Meets for 5 weeks, only, at the beginning of each semester. ENT 201 is offered as a distance education course on the World Wide Web in Spring, Summer and Fall Semesters.
Department of Entomology
104 Insectary Building
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-3140.
This course is a basic introduction to insect diversity, biology, and management. The course consists of lectures, required readings and discussion. There is no associated laboratory experience. There is no required text book.
Anticipated Schedule and Lecture Content
- Week 1: Introduction to Insects
- Insect abundance and distribution
- Importance to our world
- Week 2: Insects and Their Relatives
- Understanding arthropods
- Recognizing insect and their relatives
- Week 3: Insect Orders
- Name, Recognition, Habits
- Week 4: Morphology, Growth & Physiology
- Insect structure and form
- Growth and development
- Internal systems
- Week 5: Insect Behavior, Ecology and Management
There is no required textbook.
Special needs and accommodations
Please address any special needs or special accommodations with me at the beginning of the semester or as soon as you become aware of your needs. Those seeking accommodations based on disabilities should obtain a Student Academic Accommodation Request (SAAR) form from the Student Disability Resource (SDR) office (phone 515-294-7220). SDR is located on the main floor of the Student Services Building, Room 1076.