Mailing Lists, by Entomological Subdiscipline
Biology, Ecology and Behavior
- Chironomidae-L - topics related to chironomids (Diptera:Chironomidae). Researchers and students can exchange news, ideas and requests on all aspects of chironomid biology. To subscribe send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with subscribe chironomidae-L in the body of the message
- FORUM@NEUROPTERA.COM - mailing list for questions and answers regarding Neuroptera (lacewings, alder flies, snake flies, mantis flies, ant-lions) and Mecoptera (e.g. scorpion flies, hang flies)
- Myrmecology - the scientific study of ants. Habitat, biology, image gallery, and recommended reading
Apiculture (Beekeeping) and Social Insects
- BEE-L - for discussion of bee research and biology. Subjects include sociobiology, behavior, ecology, genetics, taxonomy, physiology, pollination, and many others
- BOMBUS-L - mailing list dedicated to discussion of bumblebees. To subscribe, send a message to LISTSERV@umdd.umd.edu with SUB BOMBUS-L in the body of your message. Maintained by David Inouye.
- Internet Apiculture and Beekeeping Archive - articles from the Usenet newsgroup sci.agriculture.beekeeping, the logs from the listserv bee-l, FAQ files, and pointers to other beekeeping and apicultural resources, on and off the Internet
Behavior and Ecology
- DPLEX-L - a discussion list for Monarch Watch participants and those interested in monarchs and monarch migration
- Hawaiian Ant Group - invasive ants in the Hawaiian Islands. Welcomes participation and discussion from persons with other island/invasive ant experiences.
- Florida IPM - for discussion of IPM and biological control as it applies to Florida pest and beneficial organisms
- EGW-L - The EGW-L list is a forum for discussion of the erythrina gall wasp (Quadrastichus erythrinae).
- Entomology Libraries and Information Network - includes list of libraries with entomological collections
- Florida Pest Alert - Brief information posted to subscribers on updates added to Florida's Pest Alert Web site on regulatory and management information for new and reoccuring pests. Moderated to prevent spam mail.
Medical and Veterinary Entomology
- ACAROLOGY - mailing list dedicated to discussion of the Acari (mites and ticks)
- Forensic Entomology - mailing list for forensic entomologists and their students. Restricted list; you must email the the listowner with info about your forensic entomology background before you can be included on the list
- MALARIA - mailing list for discussion of malaria. To subscribe, send the message subscribe MALARIA Jane Doe to email@example.com (replace Jane Doe with your real name)
- Mosquito-L - for the discussion of topics related to mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae). Possible topics include, but are not limited to: behavior, bionomics, ecology, control, general biology, legislative/regulatory issues, mosquito-borne diseases, physiology, pathogens, sampling methods, systematics. To subscribe send an e-mail message to MOSQUITO-L-REQUEST@IASTATE.EDU with the word SUBSCRIBE in the body of the message. The subject field will be ignored. If your e-mail program automatically adds your signature to the end of your message, put the word END on a separate line after the word SUBSCRIBE. Archives are available.
- PAG-L - The Pacific Ant Group was established in September 2003 to facilitate communication toward preventing establishment of Red Imported Fire Ant and other invasive ants in Pacific islands.
- PARASITE-GENOME - parasite genome databases and genome research resources mailing list and web site. List is to ask for probes, offer resources to share, request technical advice, warn of problems encountered, post news and results, advertise positions available
- ProMed - PROgram for Monitoring Emerging Diseases. Reporting of incidents or outbreaks, infectious disease problems of emerging interest, and discussions on how to improve surveillance and response capabilities
- SIMULIIDAE - is an offshoot of the British Simuliid Group, a very informal gathering of scientists of any discipline, and from many countries, who have an interest in the Simuliidae. Members include entomologists, parasitologists and medics, with interests in ecology, bionomics, taxonomy, cytotaxonomy, disease transmission, fresh water biology, etc. The aim is to assemble as diverse a group as possible in order to get a wide interchange of ideas and information
Physiology, Biochem., Toxicology, Mol. Biology
- Electrophy - discussion of insect electophysiology. To subscribe, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with body text "join". Maintained by email@example.com.
- MICROSAT - exists to exchange information on microsatellite marker investigations for arthropod species
- PERMIT-L - moderated cross-disciplinary listserv, hosted by the Smithsonian Institution, to facilitate discussion on issues related to biological collecting, permits, access, and import/export transactions. To join, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body, issue the command subscribe PERMIT-L John Doe where John Doe is your name
Systematics, Morphology and Evolution
- Chrysis.net - cuckoo wasps (Hymenoptera: Chrysididae). Image galleries, articles, research, hosts
- INVERTS-L - The INVERTS-L list is intended to allow more effient communication among taxonomists and collectors interested in specimens and/or identification of invertebrates in Hawaii.
- SYRPHIDAE - discussion list for people interested in the taxonomy and all aspects of the biology of hoverflies
- Coleoptera - for discussion of Coleoptera (beetles)
- Dipteralista - for Finnish dipterists
- ENT-CHN - a list for Chinese entomologists
- ENTOMO-L - is maintained by Peter Kevan of the University of Guelph, Canada. Discussion is on a variety of entomology-related topics
- Entomologia - objetivos son los de intercambiar información sobre aspectos relacionados con la taxonomía, sistematica, evolución, morfología, ecología, etología y todo aquello que tenga relación con el entomólogo y su objeto de estudio
- Florida Entomology and Nematology Newsletter - University of Florida's Entomology and Nematology Department monthly newsletter. Moderated to prevent spam mail. Only two messages a month sent: 1) to request news, 2) to announce when newsletter is posted to Web site.
- Greenbug-L - topics related to greenbug, Schizaphis graminum L. biology and management. Managed by Tom Royer (email@example.com), Oklahoma State University
- IUFRO subject group S7.03 - (forest entomology) International Union of Forest Research Organisations mailing list. To subscribe, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the content: subscribe IUFRO-SG-S703-L
- Leps-L - the lepidoptera listserver, gated to the UseNet newsgroup sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera. A general-purpose forum for those with an interest in butterflies and moths. For more info, including how to subscribe, see the Leps-L Frequently Asked Questions.
- Millipede and Centipede Mailing List
- Orthop - mailing list for The Orthopterists' Society
- Schoolbugs-L - provides updates on additions to the School IPM website and communication with others interested in this area
- sci.bio.entomology.homoptera - a homoptera discussion group on Usenet
- sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera - a butterfly and moth discussion group on Usenet
- sci.bio.entomology.misc - a general entomology discussion group on Usenet
- STORED PRODUCTS - to allow researchers, extension specialists, educators and students interested in post-harvest issues - specifically in the protection of and pest control in stored products with an emphasis on durable commodities - to be able to contact a large number of their colleagues
- Texas Entomology Listserv - TX-Ento is geographically centered on (but restricted to) Texas and is geared towards professional entomologists and serious amateurs. It's open to all invertebrate taxonomic groups as well as a wide range of entomological topics in (and around) Texas including biodiversity, conservation, control, ecology, education, extension, forensic, genetics, insect-plant interactions, medical, news, pollination, systematics, taxonomy, urban, and veterinary issues.
- ThripsNet - discussion of thrips research and management
- TX-Butterfly - primarily for discussing butterflies, moths and other insects found in and around Texas