Lesson Plans, by Taxonomic Group
Hymenoptera (wasps, ants, bees)
- Georgia WOWBugs Project - Melittobia digitata, commonly found in nature but never before in the pre-college classroom. Educational materials developed to teach fundamental biological concepts to grades 5-12.
- Honeybee - students identify honeybee responsibilities inside the hive, importance of the honeybee to humans, and discover how honeybees communicate. Pre-K to 4th grade
- Social Behavior of Polistine Wasps - wasps were marked and videotaped. Students use observation skills to study animal behavior.
Lepidoptera (butterflies, moths)
- The Manduca Project - student explorations of the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta
Orthoptera (grasshoppers, crickets)
- Crickets in the Classroom - instructional package of information,activities, worksheets, drawing and links
- Alphabetical Insects - students find the names of insects that begin with each letter of the alphabet. Elementary-middle school
- Arthropod Proverbs - A collection of pithy sayings mentioning arthropods, organized taxonomically.
- Elementary Urban IPM Curriculum - exploring urban integrated pest management. K-6
- Life Cycles - students will identify the life stages of four different insects and will care for and observe the life cycle of one species. Pre-K to 4th grade
- School IPM Lesson Plans - K-12 lesson plans that teach integrated pest management concepts
- Teacher/Parent Resource Materials - including Wee Beasties, and entomology newsletter for teachers, and lesson plans
- Using Live Insects in Elementary Classrooms - lesson plans using insects to teach a variety of subjects: math, language arts, music, art, drama, science and health