Diptera (flies), by Content Type
- Asilidae Publications - Publications about Diptera:Asilidae by F. Geller-Grimm
- Australian Faunal Directory - checklists and bibliographies for Australian insects
- Bibliography Update 1977-1995 for the Asilidae - PDF. Lavigne, R.J. 1999. Includes short translations from Japanese and Russian. University of Wyoming Agricultural Experiment Station Science mongraph SM55.
- BioSystematic Database of World Diptera - fly names and information about those names and the taxa to which they apply. Taxonomic bibliography. National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
- Calodema Website of Dr TJ Hawkeswood - Website provides free PDF files of TJ Hawkeswood and his co-workers biological research.
- Chironomid Home Page - everything to do with Chironomidae (Diptera). Bibliographies, listserver, newsletter, etc.
- PHEREC Publications - publications of the John A. Mulrennan Sr. Public Health Entomology Research and Education Cetner on mosquito control, stable flies, sandflies, non-chemical mosquito control, and pesticide environmental impact research.
- Syrphidae of Lower Saxony - (Germany) species list, red data list, literature
- Tachnid Bibliography - 1980-present, gleaned from The Tachnid Times
- Tephritid Worker Database - TWD is a directory of tephritid fruit fly researchers and plant protection officers in the world, providing expertise on species and speciality field, and recent publications, bibliographic references, news, directories, meetings, and projects.
- The International Database on Insect Disinfestation and Sterilization - IDIDAS provides information on disinfestation and sterilization of arthropod species, with dosage levels and conditions, efficacy and references. For researchers, phytosanotary regulators, plant protection services and SIT facility and food irradiation operations personnel.
- Canadian National Collection of Insects - 17 million specimens, mostly North American fauna. Ottawa, Canada.
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History - 6.9 million specimens
- Cornell University Insect Collection - historical overview of the collection, list of holdings of the main collection and information on the holdings in various orders, student faculty and staff associated with the collection, a searchable database of all types
- Diptera types in the Canadian National Collection of Insects - Nematocera, Brachycera, Schizophora, Tachinidae
- Illinois Natural History Survey - 6 million specimens. Several insect databases, including a searchable, specimen level Plecoptera database . Dates back to 1858
- Lyman Entomological Museum and Research Laboratory - 2.8 million specimens; second largest insect collection in Canada. Major groups include Orthoptera, Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Hymenoptera. McGill University
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County - Insects of the southwestern United States, aculeate hymenoptera, lepidoptera, diptera, coleoptera, odonata
- North Carolina State University Insect Collection - 1.1 million specimens. Emphasis on North Carolina insects and worldwide Homoptera
- Snow Entomological Research Collection - 4.1 million specimens. University of Kansas Natural History Museum
- The University of Wyoming Insect Museum - 250,000 specimens. Holdings are particularly strong in the major orders Hymenoptera (53%), Diptera (12%),Lepidoptera (10%), and Coleoptera (9%). Insect Gallery, with beautiful insects from around the world on display open to public viewing free of charge
- University of Queensland Insect Collection - 700,000 specimens. Australia
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- FlyEvidence - A Scottish based insect identification and Forensic Entomology service, based in East Lothian, Scotland.
- AnoBase - AnoBase is a database containing genomic/biological information on anopheline mosquitoes, with an emphasis on Anopheles gambiae, the world's most important malaria vector.
- Asilidae predator-prey database - a database containing more than 11,000 prey records of robber flies taken from the scientific literature
- Catalogue of the Craneflies of the World (Diptera, Tipuloidea: Pediciidae, Limoniidae, Cylindrotomidae, Tipulidae) - This Catalogue of the Craneflies of the World (CCW) covers all 17334 genus-group and species-group taxa of the families Pediciidae, Limoniidae, Cylindrotomidae, and Tipulidae (Insecta, Diptera, Tipuloidea). Its author is Pjotr Oosterbroek, honorary staffmember of the Zoological Museum Amsterdam, section Entomology
- Flybase - database of the Drosophila genome, Indiana University mirror
- Flybrain: Drosophila nervous system database - atlas and database of the Drosophila nervous system
- Mosquito and Moth Cell Lines - cell culture availability database
- Stiletto Flies - Describes fly family Therevidae including ongoing research and participants in the research.
- The International Database on Insect Disinfestation and Sterilization - - IDIDAS provides information on disinfestation and sterilization of arthropod species, with dosage levels and conditions, efficacy and references. For researchers, phytosanotary regulators, plant protection services and SIT facility and food irradiation operations personnel.
- Directory of Ceratopogonid Workers - over 100 workers worldwide
- Directory of Chironomid Workers
- Directory of North American Dipterists - over 250 North American fly workers listed, including addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses and interests. Updated regularly.
- Historical World Directory of Diptera Systematists - names and dates of birth and death for over 3,000 persons who have described new taxa in Diptera since Linnaeus with links to web pages or portraits
- Tephritid Worker Database - - TWD is a directory of tephritid fruit fly researchers and plant protection officers in the world, providing expertise on species and speciality field, and recent publications, bibliographic references, news, directories, meetings, and projects.
- World Dipterists - directory of world dipterists
- Walter Reed Biosystematics Unit - dedicated to mosquito systematics. Systematic catalog of Culicidae, identification resources, mosquito and tick publications.
Integrated Pest Management
- Integrated Fly Management Presentation - presentation emphasizing insect light traps but covering all areas need to control filth breeding flies without the use of pesticides. Requires Flash.
- Nzi Trap for Biting Flies - practical tsetse and biting fly control with environment-friendly trapping technology that does not rely on the use of insecticides
- The Fly in your Eye - A small book (pub 1989) about the war deliberately started in Australia between dung beetles and bush flies. Based on CSIRO research. Hard facts, technical drawings, cartoons, jokes. Much used in Australian schools.
- The Hessian Fly
Journals and Newsletters
- Calodema Website of Dr TJ Hawkeswood - - - - Website provides free PDF files of TJ Hawkeswood and his co-workers biological research.
- Ceratopogonid Information Exchange Newsletter - for those interested in Diptera: Ceratopogonidae
- Chironomus Newsletter - covers research on Diptera: Chironomidae
- Dipterological Research - an international journal of dipterological research with particular reference to the Palaearctic fauna.
- Fly Times - Newsletter of the North American Dipterists' Society. Jeffrey M. Cumming and Art Borkent (editors)
- Studia dipterologica - journal of taxonomy, systematics, ecology and faunistics of Diptera
- Tachinid Times - annual newsletter for persons interested in research on parasitic flies (Diptera) of the family Tachinidae. This newsletter acts as a forum for informal communication about current projects, recent research findings, field trips, and similar types of information relating to the Tachinidae.
- Volucella - international journal on taxonomy, ecology, and faunistics of palearctic Syrphidae (Diptera)
- Chironomidae-L - topics related to chironomids (Diptera:Chironomidae). Researchers and students can exchange news, ideas and requests on all aspects of chironomid biology. To subscribe send e-mail to email@example.com with subscribe chironomidae-L in the body of the message
- Dipteralista - for Finnish dipterists
- Mosquito-L - for the discussion of topics related to mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae). Possible topics include, but are not limited to: behavior, bionomics, ecology, control, general biology, legislative/regulatory issues, mosquito-borne diseases, physiology, pathogens, sampling methods, systematics. To subscribe send an e-mail message to MOSQUITO-L-REQUEST@IASTATE.EDU with the word SUBSCRIBE in the body of the message. The subject field will be ignored. If your e-mail program automatically adds your signature to the end of your message, put the word END on a separate line after the word SUBSCRIBE. Archives are available.
- SIMULIIDAE - is an offshoot of the British Simuliid Group, a very informal gathering of scientists of any discipline, and from many countries, who have an interest in the Simuliidae. Members include entomologists, parasitologists and medics, with interests in ecology, bionomics, taxonomy, cytotaxonomy, disease transmission, fresh water biology, etc. The aim is to assemble as diverse a group as possible in order to get a wide interchange of ideas and information
- SYRPHIDAE - discussion list for people interested in the taxonomy and all aspects of the biology of hoverflies
- PHEREC Publications - - publications of the John A. Mulrennan Sr. Public Health Entomology Research and Education Cetner on mosquito control, stable flies, sandflies, non-chemical mosquito control, and pesticide environmental impact research.
- 3-D Insects - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
- 3-D Insects - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
- FlyView and FlyMove - - a Drosophila image database, movies of developmental processes
- Insects in Motion - Quicktime video clips of various insects showing feeding behavior and life stage development, including a bee stinging
- Mosquito Movies - hatching, emerging, biting