Software, by Taxonomic Group
- 3-D Insects - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
- MaHiRoSi - An open source roach simulator written in freebasic. Just three species and a bunch of sprites right now but hoping to grow.
- 3-D Insects - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
- SBexpert - decision support system aids forest land managers in the reduction of risk and hazard from spruce beetle outbreaks in Alaska. Also included are an electronic textbook and a literature search program. Windows only
- 3-D Insects - - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
Hymenoptera (wasps, ants, bees)
- 3-D Insects - - - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
- 3-D Insects - - - - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
Lepidoptera (butterflies, moths)
- 3-D Insects - - - - - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
Odonata (dragonflies, damselflies)
- ClubTail - dragonfly database software. Windows only
Orthoptera (grasshoppers, crickets)
- 3-D Insects - - - - - - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
- CARMA - predicts the proportion of available forage that will be consumed by grasshoppers and estimates the economic returns of various treatment options
- Hopper - expert system for selecting appropriate treatments for grasshopper infestations, and computer models for economic analyses of those treatments
- 3-D Insects - - - - - - - - Virtual models of insects using the virtual reality modeling language.
- BioLink - integrated software for the collection, maintenance, analysis, application and dissemination of taxonomic, biodiversity and environmental information. Windows only
- Biota - biodiversity database manager. Mac or Windows
- Bug Tutorials - Authorized for pesticide applicator training CEUs in Arizona, Florida, Vermont and West Virginia. Excellent for training in many categories. Requires Windows operating system.
- DELIA - integrated DELTA database management software. Windows only
- DELTA - descriptive language for taxonomy
- Diagnosis For Crop Protection - training tool for teaching diagnostic skills, aimed primarily at tertiary students and crop consultants. Presents various problem scenarios with graphic displays, video and sound. New Zealand. Windows only
- DYMEX - modelling package for deterministic population models. Developed by CSIRO in Australia
- Faunist - for faunistic analysis, including distribution, seasonal activity period, trend and flower visit information. Maintains a database of records
- Insectile Font - insect font illustrations and an alphabet made up of bug parts. For Macintosh or Windows
- Invertebrate Collection Database Screensaver - 23 high-resolution specimen images. Windows only
- Laguna Pesticide Use Manager - label information, field/crop history, inventory, accounting
- Ldp Line - program devoted to calculate probit analyses according to Finney (1972), used to illustrate relationship between stimulus and response in biological and toxicological studies
- Lucidcentral - identification software for publishing interactive keys
- LVB - phylogeny program that uses parsimony to reconstruct phylogeny from a nucleotide alignment, using a simulated annealing heuristic search. This is suitable for moderately large data matrices. Unix, Linux, Mac OS X, Windows
- Lysandra - software for creating keys and databases on gruops of organisms distributed on a CD-ROM. Downloadable demo. Windows only
- Mandala - FileMaker Pro database for data acquisition and management of systematics and biodiversity studies
- Mantis - freeware relational taxonomy and collection database designed for entomologists. Requires FileMaker Pro for Macintosh or Windows
- Noldus Information Technology - software for behavioural research, motion and image analysis
- PAUP* - tools for inferring and interpreting phylogenetic trees
- Pesticide Labeling Tutorial - Based on chapter 2 of the "Applying Pesticides Correctly" manual. Requires Windows operating system.
- PestThreatSaver - exotic pests of Western Australia screen saver
- Platypus - database package for taxonomists. Windows only
- Quantitative Parasitology - free software designed to improve education and research in parasite ecology and epidemiology. Designed to deal with the notoriously left-biased frequency distributions of parasites. Mac or Windows
- SwisTrack - A Tracking Tool for Multi-unit Biological and Artificial Systems - SwisTrack is an open source tracking tool for tracking multiple, marker less objects. SwisTrack has been successfully used for tracking cockroaches and miniature robots, and can easily be extended due to its open, object-oriented architecture.
- TAXIS - Taxonomic Information System is a database management system for recording specimens, taxa, localities, characters, and images. Some of the features include interactive identification, reports on taxa and collection, printing of labels. Windows only
- Virtual Creatures - virtual tarantulas. Feed them virtual crickets. Windows only
- WORLDMAP - quantitative measures for mapping biodiversity value, rarity and endemism, combined with accountable methods for assessing priority areas for biodiversity conservation, including gap analysis. Site shows examples from different spatial scales, and a free downloadable demo