Study Entomology at Iowa State!
Entomology Graduate Student Organization: Constitution
- To formally voice the interests and concerns of the graduate students in the Department of Entomology,
- To promote the professional development and educational enhancement of graduate students in the aforementioned department through formal and informal seminars, meetings, discussions, and disseminations of literature, and
- To serve as a peer group source of information for the incoming and currently enrolled graduate students with respect to academic and non-academic requirements.
- Membership is open to any currently enrolled graduate student in the Department of Entomology.
- Membership fees to be decided in May of each year.
- Meetings will be held the first Friday of each month at approximately 4 p.m.
- Four elected representatives (President, Vice-president, Treasurer, Secretary and Graduate Student Senate Representative) will form the executive committee. These representatives plus representatives for faculty committees will be nominated in April of each year and will be elected by majority vote by the meeting in May, during which the transition of the executive committee will occur. If any executive committee member leaves or resigns his or her position during the year, a replacement will be elected at the following meeting.
- The duties of the President will include (but not be limited to) presiding over monthly meetings, delegating duties, and arrangement of spring speaker.
- The duties of the Vice-president will include (but not be limited to) presiding over monthly meetings in absence of President, and organizing social events.
- The duties of the Treasurer will include (but not be limited to) management of EGSO funds and expenditures.
- The duties of the Secretary will include (but not be limited to) recording and distributing the minutes of monthly meetings to all members and faculty advisor.
- The duties of the Graduate Student Senate Representative will include (but not be limited to) representing the interests of the graduate students in the Department of Entomology and disseminating relevant issues discussed at GSS monthly meetings.
- Meetings will be 30 minutes long but may be extended if such a motion is carried. Robertís Rules of Order will generally be followed.
- On voting issues a quorum will be 50% of members (present or voting by proxy). A motion will be passed by a majority of a quorum.
- At least one executive member must serve on any committee formed.
- Any amendments to the above constitution can be made at any meeting if supported by a majority vote of 2/3 of a quorum.